Compiling the PHP-Memcached 1.5 extension
It is a known bug, that the PHP memcache extension doesn't find the zlib libraries even if installed. Check this article if you want to know how to compile it on Debian.
- Install the zlib1g and zlib1g-dev packages.
- Download the memache 1.5 source from PEAR: pear download memcache.
- Extract the source and prepare it for building using phpize.
- Configure it using ./configure --with-zlib-dir=/usr/include as outlined in the bug report on PECL.
- Instal it using make install and don't forget to restart Apache.
Confirmed working on Debian stable today.Update (2005-10-25):
There is actually an easier way to achive the same effect: Set the environment variable PHP_ZLIB_DIR to the above directory name. This allows you to use the standard pear package management while still working around the bug. Confirmed working is this variant:
$ export PHP_ZLIB_DIR='/usr/include' $ pear install memcache